Skip to content ↓

Someone I'm talking to online has made me feel uncomfortable...​​​​​​​

What should I do if someone I only know online makes me feel uncomfortable?

The advice is the same for anything that makes you upset, worried, or confused online – talk to an adult you trust. You can talk to an adult at school who will always be happy to listen and give you advice.

If someone you only know online, ever asks:

  • to meet up with you,
  • for photos or videos of you,
  • for your personal information,

You can also report them to the police using the ThinkUKnow website.

This website is run by CEOP who are part of the police and work to stop strangers online trying to meet up with young people.

Is someone being weird online? Are they acting inappropriately?

You can contact CEOP for help.

Nobody should ever ask you to talk about your body with them or talk to you about theirs.

Nobody should ever ask you to show them your body online or face to face or show you theirs.

This behaviour is inappropriate. 

Report to CEOP

CEOP helps young people. If you’ve met someone online, or face to face, and they are making you feel uncomfortable you should report to CEOP.

This might be someone:

  • Making you feel worried, anxious or unsafe
  • Asking you to meet up face to face if youʼve only met them online
  • Talking inappropriately to you online
  • Asking you to do inappropriate things on webcam
  • Asking for inappropriate pictures of you

If this is happening to you, or you’re worried that it might be, you can report it to CEOP and they will help make it stop.

If you or someone else is in immediate danger please dial 999.