Skip to content ↓

Advice for Children

How to stay safe when using the internet

Are you worried about something?

Sometimes things happen online that make us feel worried, scared or upset. Whatever has happened, it is not your fault.

The best thing to do is tell an adult you trust what has happened and how you are feeling. They will be able to help you.

Remember, always tell an adult if someone is:

  • Putting pressure on you to do something that doesn’t feel right.
  • Saying something bad will happen if you don’t do what they say.
  • Offering you something that seems too good to be true.

Who can help?

Think of an adult you trust who makes you feel safe. They might be:

  • your dad, mum or carer 
  • another family member
  • your teacher or another adult at school
  • another grown up who looks after you

After you've talked to them, if you feel you still need help, don't give up! Tell another adult you trust. You will be able to get the help you need.

You can also get help by calling Childline on 0800 1111, or click here for an online chat with a Childline counsellor

How to ask for help?

There are lots of ways to ask an adult to help you. Here are some ideas:

"Nan, I'm feeling scared. Can I talk to you?..."

"Ms Smith, can I talk to you? I'm worried about something..."

"Dad, something happened when I was gaming. Can you help me?..."

Tell them about how you are feeling and explain what has happened. The adult should listen and help you.

Worried about something you've seen or something which has happened online?

Talking to a trusted adult can really help.

If you need more help because of something that has happened online - like if someone has tried to make you do something you don't want to do, or said something bad will happen if you don't do what they say - you can get support from CEOP by going to the website below.

Being bullied online?

If you are being bullied, tell an adult you trust or talk to someone at Childline - no worry is too big or small. You can speak to someone on the phone or online. Call: 0800 1111