This half term, Year 3 have been reading 'Oliver and the Seawigs', an adventure story written by Philip Reeve and illustrated by Sarah McIntyre.
The story is about Oliver who grew up in a family of explorers - but his biggest adventure was about to begin! Along with his new friends, a grumpy old albatross, a short-sighted mermaid and a friendly island called Cliff, Oliver goes off in search of his missing parents.
But before he can put his rescue plan into action, he has to deal with the evil Stacey de Lacey and an army of greasy, green sea monkeys to contend with…
Whilst reading the book, the children learned how to:
- share their predictions,
- become a journalist to retell key events in the form of a newspaper report using inverted commas for quotes,
- write character descriptions using expanded noun phrases and adjectives for detail,
- make their own sea wigs for a wonderful display,
- write a personal recount in role as a character
- drew pictures of the characters and much, much more!